OWNED BY OUR MEMBERS
Like the thousands of other cooperatives around the world, Ukiah Natural Foods Co-op is owned by its members. Owners help govern the Co-op by electing the board of directors and offering vital feedback to store faculty. While anyone can shop at the Co-op, owners invest financially and ideologically in the organization while enjoying special benefits.
Anyone can become a member of the Co-op!
One feature making co-ops unique is how they use their profits. Each year a portion of Ukiah Natural Foods' profits go back to the community in the form of patronage dividends and the Community Grants & Donations program. We invest in the community that supports us!
Provide and promote organically grown, sustainably produced food, goods, and services that are locally and regionally sourced whenever possible.
Promote the health and wellness of our community by providing facilities, resources, and information, and by offering effective, positive community education and services.
Embody and model sustainable, humane, and equitable "green" ways of working and living, creating and maintaining an ideal workplace.
Add to the enjoyment and enrichment of our greater community as well as the expression of our common humanity.
Help create and participate in other cooperative community ventures and networks.
Have fun doing it!
OUR CORE VALUES
As a cooperatively owned business, we value the cooperative principles adopted in 1995 by the International Cooperative Alliance. The following values guide our actions:
- Integrity: an ethical commitment to bringing sustainable and humane practices into action.
- Quality Food and Goods: organic, natural, and healthy sustainably produced food.
- Customer Service: friendly and responsive, in an inviting environment.
- Community Involvement and Leadership: mutual responsiveness that connects us with community members and inspires their involvement.
- Prosperity: financially viable, flourishing, well-managed organization that returns fair value to its members.